Placement to get to, presents to buy, assignments to finish, exams to revise for, kids to look after, care plans to write, family time needed, lights to put up, trees to decorate, literature to read, bank shifts to do, wrapping paper to buy, lectures to attend, risk assessments to start, medication exams every week and elves on shelves every night are just a few things that as a nursing student alot of us have to think about around this time of year. Being a student nurse is hectic January to November so when December hits and we have the festive season to prepare for our lives only get busier. I don’t know about you but personally, around this time of year, I feel like I can lose my balance and forget about looking after myself.
Self-care is such an important part of a student and qualified nurses’ lives, we spend each day caring for others so it’s important we don’t forget to care for own health and happiness. After all, we can’t pour from an empty cup! Self-care doesn’t have to be something that takes up all our time or is too much effort. It can simply be noticing the little things that make us smile or doing a small something to improve our wellbeing. With this in mind, the Student Nurse Project team created 24 days of balance, which is 24 days of little things we can do to give ourselves some love, bring kindness to the world and take back some balance in this busy season.
Some of my favourite days are…
- Day 4: Look up at the stars and reflect on how far you’ve come: As student nurses and NQN nurses we’re often so busy we forget how much we’ve achieved and overcome, day 4 promotes us to take a moment to think about all we’ve done.
- Day 9: Light a candle and turn of the lights: Sometimes we need a reminder to stop and relax, day 9 does just that!
- Day 14: Do something nobody would expect you to do that’s out of your comfort zone: I definitely am guilty of focusing on what’s in front of me, my degree, placement, bank shifts and forget to push myself out of my comfort zone. That’s why day 14 is one of my favourites, it gives us the chance to do something that pushes us.
- Day 20: Send a letter through the post to brighten someone’s day: Being kind is infectious, making others smile always makes us smile and day 20 is all about that, making others smile.
- Day 23: Make a wish, climb a tree, go on some swings, do something fun: Self-care isn’t just about looking after our health both physical and mental but it’s also about having fun! Day 23 lets us do something silly and spend some time having a laugh.
- If you would like to come and join us and our 24 Days of Balance, tweet what you’ve done for your day of balance using the hashtag #StNProject or post a photo on Instagram using the same hashtag or tag us @StNProject. We’re loving seeing all your posts about 24 Days of Balance, see a few in the photo below, and hope it’s helping you bring some kindness, self-care and balance to December.
- Written by Abby Martin (@MHNurseAbby)